Saturday, August 27, 2016

Leaky Pipe

My intention on Saturday (today) was to run the new service wire from the panel to the new meter location. I instead found a leak and spent my time repairing it. The heating system installers had pierced the drain pipe for the kitchen sink when they were drilling exploratory pilot holes. Two holes pierced the drain pipe all the way through. One hole was only on the top.

When I was feeling around on the top of the pipe, I felt what could have been another hole or two, so I didn't take a chance and cut out two feet of the drain pipe (I couldn't see the top of the pipe, only feel it). Turns out that the suspected holes weren't holes at all, but it was better to not take the chance.

Here are the hole on top of the pipe.

Here are the holes on the bottom of the pipe.

Here is the gloop inside the pipe. 

Here is the gloop on my coveralls. It also got in my hair, eyes, ears, and on my face. It was kind of foul, but at least it was only kitchen sink gloop and not bathroom gloop. And sink my household is mostly vegetarian, the stench wasn't too off-putting.

My anxiety of doing the new service panel wiring run has been overshadowed by the horrible plumbing leak, and now I am excited to do the electrical work.

1 comment:

  1. gah, contractor induced plumbing leak, gah!
    shouldn't you have had the heating system installers repair it?
    of course, then you would have had to wait.

    ReplyDelete