Sunday, August 28, 2016

Electric Meter Relocation Progress

We paid a couple of the guys from the crew to dig the rest of the trench this weekend. It took two guys 4.5 hours to finish it.

The 2.5" conduit on the left is the electric line. The two 2" conduits on the right are the phone and cable lines.

My spouse and I ran conduit and pulled the 4/0-4/0-2/0 aluminum service wire. Pulling the wire was definitely a two person job. I was initially optimistic and tried to get the wire to make a 90 degree bend and a 45 degree bend but had to settle for pulling the wire through only one 90 degree bend. 

Here is the other end of the wire run. I purchased a duplicate service panel so that I can pre-wire it with the big wire and then move over the breakers and wires from the old service panel after the power company shuts off power on Wednesday. We have to move the service panel because the new wire run feeds into the house in a location that won't allow us to keep the panel where it is.

The new electric meter location and new service panel is by far the most ambitious project we've taken on so far on the house. I'm hoping the inspector is happy with my work.

4 comments:

  1. When does the power go off?
    How long will the power be off?
    Do you have to call them to turn the power back on?
    When does the inspection occur?
    What kind of studying did you do to learn how to do this work?
    Books? Internet? Other?
    questions questions............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many questions!
      Wednesday morning is when when power goes off.
      It will be off all day and come back on when the inspector signs off on the work.
      The inspector will hopefully be able to inspect later in the day on Wednesday (if I get all my work done).
      Electrical work is kind of like playing with Legos. But I've been asking questions to everyone who might give me answers and I've been reading and watching videos. Inspectors will give you answers too, but you have to ask in just the right way. ~_^

      Delete
  2. ah, legos! one step at a time - gotta do this before you do that, etc.
    gee I hope you can get all the work done by wednesday afternoon!
    when you say, hopefully the inspector will be there later, does that mean you have an appointment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have an appointment for Wednesday afternoon.

      Delete