I installed the trim around the entryway closet and the entryway door. My brother-in-law filled all the nail holes. Next step is paint.
Wednesday, December 27, 2017
We chose to install Armstrong's Alterna 16"x16" Allegheny Slate Copper Mountain vinyl tiles in our entryway. The tiles are almost indistinguishable from stone tiles... especially when you grout between them. We feel that the tiles will serve us well in the entryway as they are easy to clean and pretty robust to traffic. We chose the Stone acrylic grout color.
I first had to level out a part of the entryway that had a significant dip. I used concrete leveler just like we used in the den. I used the recommended substrate sealer first.
Then I used an edge filler to feather the transition from the leveler to the rest of the floor.
I installed a 3/4" plywood underlayment over the leveled subfloor to match the floor height in the den and kitchen.
I laid the tiles in small batches by first cleaning the area, troweling on the adhesive with the recommended trowel, then laying the tiles in place, and pressing them down with a rubber mallet.
I used 3/16" spacers. The tiles are very easy to cut with a utility knife (then you just snap the tile like you would with drywall).
I taped the perimeter of the area where I troweled the glue to keep the new tiles clean and to make clean up easier in general.
After the tiles were all installed, I grouted the tiles with the recommended acrylic grout. It was very easy compared with concrete or polyurethane grout. Clean up was a snap.
I finally finished the siding on the attic space above the third bedroom. The area had sheathing and Tyvek, but was not on the same plane as the rest of the attic so I installed some spacers and painted plywood. I will eventually add some batten every 24 inches, but they are not necessary right now.
I finally got around to installing the trim around the kitchen nook window as well as reinstalling all the siding around the window back in October. It wasn't all that hard. It just took a while.
Trim around window
Siding and window trim painted
Close up of painted trim and siding
Monday, December 04, 2017
Sunday, November 26, 2017
The front porch (which is really a deck covered deck) got stained/sealed in September.
Here's what it looked like after I washed and scrubbed it with deoxidizer and deck soap.
Here's the deck two days later after it dried.
I almost had enough stain left over from the west side deck to finish the porch. Almost.
Here's the finished porch when it's still wet.
And here's the front porch all dry the next day and ready for use.