Monday, August 29, 2016

Electric Meter Install

We are a day behind where we wanted to be because of the plumbing fix that ate up Saturday. But we still have plenty of time to finish up the odds and ends by Wednesday morning.

I also made a few changes and additions based on some feedback that I got from a friend who follows this blog. I added bushing nuts to the male nipples were the wire(s) enter all the boxes and service panel. I also added some oxidation inhibitor on the ends of all the wires where they are screwed into the boxes/connectors. A big thank you to my friend for suggesting these fixes/enhancements.

Here is the new siding that I installed, primed, and painted in the location where the meter is going. I had to install new siding because the old siding was too narrow and we are converting the old six foot wide window to a four foot wide window. I decided to paint the siding now because I won't ever get a chance to paint it again.

Here is the meter box and the disconnect box installed and wired. I had to cut the 4/0-4/0-2/0 wires with a reciprocating saw because they are so thick!

Here is the meter box and the disconnect box with their respective covers on.

Here is the lock for the disconnect. I don't think anything more substantial is necessary at the moment.

Here is a photo of the new paint next to the old paint. The old is a bit faded and dirty. The house is going to look SO good with new paint all over it!

I got a nice compliment. One of the young guys on the construction crew came up to me while I was working and said he didn't understand how if I'm an electrician why I stay home all day. I told him that I wasn't an electrician, just a home owner. He just looked at me with wide eyes. He calls me the electrician now.

2 comments:

  1. good work...looking good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, we shall call you "The Electrician" now, said in humblest tones on bended knee, head bowed.
    yes indeed!

    ReplyDelete