Thursday, May 31, 2012

2nd Bedroom - Part 6-7-8: Drywall, Window, and Door

I finished the drywall last weekend and installed the window and door, too.  Quite the busy Memorial Day weekend.  I did the closet too even though it's going to receive a built-in cabinet (like the living room shelf) because I wanted to minimize draft and also provide for the possibility for using the closet as a real closet some day in the future.  I also put some screws in the ceiling.  There were a few nail pops and the screws make me feel better.

Here's a photo of the closet.   And a SketchUp concept of what the built-in will possibly look like.

The window wasn't all that hard to install.  I first cut away the siding so that the window trim can be installed later.  Then I inserted the window and nailed it in place (with a bead of silicone between the flange and the sheathing). It's really nice to have the window in after a month of not having it in.  Much warmer in the room now.


This is the first time I've hung a door.  It was a little fussier than I'd hoped.  But I didn't really know what I was doing either.  I read a little about it first and promptly nailed/locked myself out of the room by using a 2x4 as a stop on the interior (this kept me from being able to open the door).  I took out the two nails I'd just hammered in and used a different approach.  I put a door lever on so that the almost-three-year-old can come and go as he pleases.  He likes the door a lot.


Mudding is next.  Then paint.  Then the floor.  Then the trim.  The built-in will happen sometime.  I have to draw it first since I'm probably going to have the panels cut for me by someone else.

2 comments:

  1. hahahahahahahaha, you nailed yourself in.
    guess you could have gone in and out of the window, hahahahaha.
    i can see your face reflection in the outside the window shot.
    and when you look out of the window, you see a view of "oh beautiful shed".
    is there now a door in the hall to the former bedroom closet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I nailed myself out! And the window was locked so I couldn't get in to take off the 2x4 stop.
    Yeah, I took that picture specifically to catch my reflection!
    No. That's the old door leaning against the wall.

    ReplyDelete