Wednesday, May 30, 2012

2nd Bedroom - Part 5: Insulation (Walls)

One of the big pluses to remodeling the second bedroom is that there is now going to be insulation in the walls.  There will now no longer be mold growing on them in the winter.  Hopefully.  I installed R-15 on all the exterior walls.  I also installed R-13 on the interior walls to aid in sound dampening (and temperature, too, since the house is a bit drafty).  The R-13 is four times less expensive than the R-15.

Code for new walls is R-19.  That means that the walls need to be 2x6 and not 2x4.  But this is just "repair" work and not new construction.  There a way to get R-19 in 2x4 walls and that is to use the styrofoam board insulation (it's usually pink, but I think I've seen blue as well).  I might do that on the additions of the house since I'll want to build the new walls to match the existing walls (so that the windows and doors all look the same).

Anyway, here are some photos of the insulation.



 I'll be putting new insulation in the ceiling and the floor as well.  But that will have to wait.  The rush right now is to get the living space livable.

No comments:

Post a Comment