Sunday, May 06, 2012

2nd Bedroom - Part 4: Electrical

I finished off the electrical today. I ran wire from the service panel to the second bedroom for one new 20 amp circuit for the lights at the six outlets as well as a new line for the 240 volt baseboard heater.  All of the old wiring is in such bad shape that when you touch it the wire casing disintegrates off of the wire.  I removed both old outlets (both were ungrounded).

The north wall is where I came down with the wires to the thermostat, the light switch, and the first outlet.  The top box (at 60" high) is the thermostat.  The middle box (at 48" high) is the light switch.  The bottom box (at 15" high) is the first outlet.  The first outlet is a GFCI since one of the outlets is going to be on a "wet-wall."  The light and light switch were the first things I wired since, well, I needed light.  I'd cut the old light switch wires when I moved the doorway.  And i let the two-year-old flip the switch for its first time on.  He was very excited!

North Wall

The old light didn't have a J-box, just two holes in the drywall.  There's a 2x4 above the ceiling for the fixture to screw into.
Old light location

I cut a new hole in the ceiling (so that the new light will be centered in the room now that part of the room is being absorbed into future bathroom and closet space).  I installed a new J-box, too.
New light location

I'm not rolling over and over about the new light.  But it's nice enough.  And we can swap it out at any time in the future.  I'd like to put cans in, but a dome light is more efficient since it spreads the light.  I think the two-year-old will appreciate the extra light when he's playing in his room on gray winter days.
New light

The east wall has two outlets.  It also has an empty J-box for future phone/data.  I ran a length of 3/4" conduit up to the attic space (with a cork in it to seal it) so that I can get to it any time.  I wonder if I'll ever use it?  The box will get a blank cover after the drywall is installed.
 East Wall

The south wall has two outlets as well (one on either side of the window).  The baseboard heater gets installed under the window and outlets aren't allowed to be over the heater.
South Wall

The west wall has only one outlet.  This wall will eventually have a bathtub on the other side of it.  I considered putting in another outlet on the right side of the closet, but the new door will cover that section of wall when open so it didn't make much sense.
West Wall

I've already brought both the wall insulation and gypsum board into the room.  Now all I need is the time to install them.  Having the last nine days available to concentrate solely on the demo, framing, and electrical has been great.  And my spouse really enjoyed her week off of work to play with the two-year-old.  Hopefully I can grab a few moments here and there to finish up.

1 comment:

  1. oh, you're so good!
    gonna be a great room!

    ReplyDelete