Wednesday, May 02, 2012

2nd Bedroom - Part 2: Framing

Now that the second bedroom is cleared out it's time to get to work!  The weather cooperated and didn't rain on me while I transported the materials.  Remember the 780 pounds of gypsum board I removed?  Well, I bought 670 pounds of new gypsum board to take its place.  Thank goodness for Ultralight Sheetrock.  It's the new standard and weighs 30% less and is stronger than the old stuff.  Still... carrying all that weight was not friendly to my back. (A hot shower, some time on the BodyBridge, and some ice packs made it happy again.)

The first work I did was to frame the new wall and closet space.  The spaces on either side of the closet are for future expansions of the bathrooms (they're so small!).  Since these walls are not load bearing I only used a single 2x4 on the top.  I spaced the studs so that I don't have to cut the wall board (width) and can just screw it in place.

Reframing the window was a bit of deja vu.  It was just like when I reframed the window in the kitchen nook.  There's a little sheathing that needs to be installed, but I'll do that tomorrow when I take out the other window and put sheathing in its place.  And have I mentioned that I love my reciprocating saw?  It is a tool no remodeler should be without.  I call it my light saber since it cuts through anything (very handy when cutting holes in walls).

The new window is going to be so nice!  It will let in a lot of light, which is a good thing since the other window is going away (a future room addition means the other window needs to be a wall).

I attack the east wall and the interior north wall tomorrow.  The north wall will be tricky since I want to maintain some access control to minimize toddler exploration.

1 comment:

  1. what is a reciprocating saw? show me a picture?
    of course i could go to home depot and ask one of the guys.
    is the window on the south wall?
    small child must want to be in there with you all the time.
    on you - like a wart, hee

    ReplyDelete