Sunday, May 06, 2012

2nd Bedroom - Part 3: More Framing

 The east wall was pretty easy to reframe.  I just popped out the old window, framed it in, and then installed some 3/4" plywood sheathing on the outside.  I was really lucky because the hole to fill was 48" wide (the width of the plywood) so that's one less cut to have to do.  I also cut some sheathing for the spot on the south wall that needed it.  By the way, I had to do all of the wood cutting in the rain.  At least it wasn't cold.  Sawdust is kind of funny in the rain.  Instead of making a dusty cloud, it makes a sticky sludge on your wood.




 The north wall was the trickiest wall to reframe.  This is mainly because I wanted to save the door so I could control access and minimize debris going out into our living space.  I'm not reusing the door in the long term for the room, just until the new door arrives.  I pinned up a sheet to contain the sawdust when I was using the reciprocating saw to cut the plywood and the nails holding in the door frame.  I screwed up some old drywall scrap on the outside of the room to close off the remainder of the wall and then framed in the old closet doorway.

The inside of the room had gypsum board.  The outside of the room had 1/4" plywood covered in wallpaper (three layers, and painted burlap).  Here's a photo of what I found on the back of one of the plywood.

Here's a photo of all the finished framing on both the north and east walls.

There's a small area in the new doorway that's going to need flooring.  I cut out the flooring in the old closet doorway with my Dremel Multi-Max and will save it for when I get around to doing flooring work.

 During all of this reframing work, I also made a trip to get some insulation for the room.  I love the bungee spiderweb that we have for holding loads together.  It was perfect for the insulation load.

Now that all the framing is done, I get get to run new wire for all the outlets, lights, and baseboard heater.

1 comment:

  1. my, you have been a busy boy!
    eeeee, sawing in the rain!
    reject! reject!
    looking good!
    (exclamation point)

    ReplyDelete