Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Fence: Part 5c - Rails

I finished installing the last of the rails (or stringers) on the new fence on Monday. I'll put on a coat of stain on the posts and rails next. Then I'll stain the pickets before i install them.


I could have just screwed or nailed the rails to the posts, but i chose (as most people do) to use 2x4 stringer brackets. I installed three rails between each pair of posts because of all the warped pickets I've seen on all the fences (in the Pacific NW) with only two rails. I'm hoping the extra rail will help minimize the warping. At the very least, the extra rail will make it easier for my kids to climb the fence.

Here's the screw that I'm using for attaching the brackets to the posts and that I will be using to attach the pickets to the rails. I bought a box of 5000 for a about $100 (about $0.02 per screw). It's pretty awesome! It self-drills, has a really small head, and has a square drive. Plus it's a deck screw so it's weather resistant.


I attached the brackets to the posts allowing for the thickness of the pickets, facia board, and top cap (1/2" from the inside of the fence).

Then I measured and cut the three rails to fit between the posts. the rails were all the same length because the posts were plumb, but I measured anyway. I didn't use screws on the outside of the bracket, only the bottom and inside, because I don't want the pickets to rise as they pass over the bracket. I'm pretty sure the connection is strong enough. I also brushed on some stain on the cut end of the 2x4 to give it additional weather protection.

There was anywhere from 1" to 2.5" of rise from post to post. The total rise along the run of fence is 26.5".

Here are some photos of the return where the big swing gate will eventually be.

Here's a photo of the little fence section that I'm putting at the end of the driveway to receive the address numbers. I'll be cutting the tall post to match the height of the shorter post.

And here's a photo of the garbage can area. I added diagonal braces to stiffen up the posts where the gates will hang. The braces make a HUGE difference!
----------
Here's a photo of the shed my neighbors built last week. They bought a kit and didn't have to cut hardly any of the wood. It's about 8'x12' and about 9' high. The green that they painted it seems to really make it invisible. They cut down the (weed) locust trees that used to be there and that really let a lot more light into the area. I suspect our blueberry bushes will be happier until we move them over to the fence where there is tons of light.

4 comments:

  1. yes, the boys will be climbing over the fence.
    the pickets will be on the outside of the rails? the rails will be on the inside, yes? so boys can climb........
    what are the marks, notches on the wood? what do they do?
    will the swinging gate be wood also?
    oh beautiful fence...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -The pickets will be on the outside.
      -What marks/notches? If you see pencil marks then those are left over from me placing the brackets.
      -All the gates will be wood, but the big driveway gate will have a steel frame.

      Delete
  2. the wood looks like it is stamped with a design; what is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! That's what pressure treated wood looks like. The marks are piercings that allow the chromated copper arsenate to penetrate the wood so that fungus, bacteria and bugs won't eat it. Humans shouldn't eat it either.

      Delete