Sunday, August 25, 2013

Fence: Part 5b - Rails

I installed nine sets of rails (stringers) this weekend. This leaves me with seven sets left to install for the main fence.

 The first thing I did was to build a measuring stick/guide so that I could more quickly locate the rail support brackets. It's symmetrical so I can flip it and use it on the right and left side of a post.

 This is where the double gate will go for side road access. I have returns on the fence here to strengthen/stiffen the fence and also to frame the garbage can area. The fence and gates will be six feet tall, but the returns will only be four feet tall. I'll be building a gravel pad in this area for the cans to sit on.

We're going to have to get used to accessing the side road from the new gateway. The old path will just lead to the fence! Until the pickets are installed, though, I guess climbing through the fence will work.

You can probably see the rise in the rails along the road (since all the rails are level). The rise from each post to the next one is two and a half inches.

2 comments:

  1. when i made the pictures big, i saw Mommy and Baby standing in the door.
    oooo, a measuring stick guide, clever Daddy.
    well, of course, climbing through the fence is fun and then he can learn how to climb the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Good job....

    ReplyDelete