Sunday, November 23, 2014

Bathroom Floor - Moisture Barrier

I covered the heating wire with thin-set mortar this morning. The thin-set layer is about an 1/8th inch thick. I laid down a sheet of Ditra on top of the still wet thin-set. The Ditra has a fabric back that gets bonded the the thin-set under it. 

The Ditra does a few things. It's a moisture barrier. It also allows moisture under it to escape because of the waffle structure channels. And it allows the material below and above to expand and contract independently thus reducing cracks in the tiles and grout.


I also added an extra 1/4" thick ring of Hardiboard under the toilet closet flange. This extra detail will bring the flange closer to finish floor level since I have layers for heat and moisture barrier.

I didn't have to install the original full floor layer of Hardiboard since I'm using the Ditra, but I couldn't bring myself to put thin-set directly on my new subfloor.

1 comment:

  1. interesting - but i barely know what you are talking about.
    you're getting the bathroom ready to be a bathroom! yes!

    ReplyDelete