Monday, August 11, 2014

Tree Trimming

I am going to try and finish building the extensions to the shed before fall this year. And since I have clear ground where those extensions are going to be I figure I should cut any overhanging tree branches now. There is only one branch that is truly overhanging so that's the one I cut on Sunday.

The branch was about twenty feet up, and since I needed to rent a chainsaw I thought I might rent a tree climbing harness and boot spikes and try to be safe. My spouse helped be put on the harness and spikes and explained the basics on how to climb. 

I had to first cut away all the undergrowth around the base of the tree. My neighbor says he thinks the tree is an English Laurel and we both agree that it's a weed. It's not on either of our properties. My other neighbor says I can do whatever I want to it. I may get more aggressive with the tree in the future and attack one of the really big limbs.

I used a ladder to climb up the first six feet. Then I strapped myself to the tree and started climbing. It wasn't easy! I think climbing a straight fir and pine tree would be a lot easier. The laurel tree's bark was not ideal. I slipped once and hit my chin. If I hadn't had a beard I would have lost some skin.

I actually just climbed up the last four feet without using the climbing gear. It was a little easier. I sat on the limb I was going to cut and then slowly started chainsawing it about three feet out from where I sat. The branch's fall was slow and controlled even though I didn't tie a rope to it. It grazed the fence but didn't do any real damage. My neighbor started right away cutting up part of the branch that was on his side of the fence. Then I climbed down and started cutting up all the branches into smaller pieces.

I also spent a little time cutting up a few fallen branches around the yard that are too big for me to dump into the yard waste container. It was kind of fun running around cutting stuff up. That was yesterday. I'm sore today.

1 comment:

  1. bet you're sore............ha.
    how handsome you are in your tree trimming, tree climbing gear!
    good pic of Leo inspecting.

    ReplyDelete