Friday, August 22, 2014

Leveling the Ash Pile

I want to build a couple of extensions onto the shed before winter so I started digging up the old ash pile on the east side of the shed. The pile is about 18" high and about 5' in diameter. It took about 6 wheel barrow loads to remove the pile.

Guess what I found under under the pile! An old plastic wrapped 55 gallon steel drum with a piece of concrete on top. Hmmm. I suspect it's an OLD DIY septic tank. It sounds hollow when I tap on it. All kinds of different ideas have passed through my mind as to what's in it.

I put the old piece of concrete back on top of it when I was done moving the pile.

I suspect that I'll get a load of 5/8ths crushed gravel, break the drum open, fill it, and then lay pavers over the top. Well see.

I also filled yard waste six bags with the leaves and branches of the big branch I cut off a couple of weeks ago.

1 comment:

  1. oh pew! an old ersatz septic tank, ugh!
    screeeeeeeeeeemmmm

    ReplyDelete