Friday, March 31, 2006

Our Rights!!!

I've been talking to (different) folks at the local electrical utility for three months now. Each time I learn something new, something different, sometimes something that conflicts with what I was told (or understood) earlier. Yesterday, I spoke with the legal department. I called them because no one else could answer my question of, "Can I dig in the right-of-way myself?". I was told no. I was also asked why I would want to. I said I didn't want to pay $2000 for an 80 foot trench. I was told that I have prescriptive rights and that I am not obligated to change (and pay for) my electical connection (which trespasses on the empty front lot).

Now I have to figure out how to get the builder (on the front lot) to dig/pay for the moving of my electrical connection. He speaks English well, but has a thick accent (Indian, I think) and sometimes I have difficulty understanding him. Plus, I don't think he understands me sometimes. If he had an email address, it might be easier to communicate, but he doesn't have one.

The water line is a similar situation.

We'll see how this plays out. My spouse and I might have to be annoying or confrontational in order to get everything to play out properly (read: to our advangtage).

2 comments:

  1. Luck on that. Sounds complex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also- you gotta fight...for your right....TO PARTAY!!!!

    You probably knew that I couldn't and wouldn't resist that.

    Oh- and K got laid off yesterday. Need any day labor?

    ReplyDelete