Sunday, October 30, 2011

Shed - Part 15: Door Details

I finished trimming a door and installing a lock this weekend. So... other than building the shelving, one unit is done and ready for move-in!

I used aluminum 'L' to trim the edge of the door. This both stiffened the door and protected the edge. Plus it looks nice. I notched the aluminum 'L' at the corners for the first door. I think I'll miter the corners on the other two doors.

What it looks like from the outside.


What it looks like on the inside.


What the aluminum trim looks like around the hinges.


I applied some weather stripping along the inside to provide a seal. This isn't so much for airflow as keeping the wildlife out (insects) and for provided an even closure surface.


I installed a dead bolt as the locking mechanism. I put in in the wall instead of putting the lock on the door .


I built a "handle" with the bolt catch in it on the door. I'll probably get around to polyurethaning the wood 'handle' when I'm done with all three doors.


And here are a couple of photos showing the completed door locked up tight.

1 comment:

  1. ooooh, i like the lock on the wall!
    art as shed
    shed as art
    oh beautiful shed's doors
    exquisite craftsmanship!

    ReplyDelete