Saturday, October 08, 2011

Shed - Part 14: Doors

I was planning on building sliding barn doors for the shed, but I couldn't bring myself to pay for the hardware that I'd need. I instead looked all over the place for some nice big offset hinges. I finally found some that were a decent price. I mounted the doors on the outside of the hinges so I needed to use a spacer to make things fit. I used a big fat washer. It was the exact same thickness as the hinge metal!


The wood I chose to use for the doors is an ACX plywood (A is a good side, C is a not so good side, X is for exterior grade glue). The doors are about three feet by seven feet. I used one of the plywood remnants as a hinge placement template so I could local the hinges on the shed.



After mounting each door, I applied a coat of exterior polyurethane to both faces and the edges. The plywood will eventually turn gray, but I think it will take a while since the doors are on the north side of the shed.


All three doors are on. I have two more coats to apply. I also have to flatten the doors. They've warped just a little bit because of the beautiful PNW autumn humidity. I have a couple of ideas on how I'd like to true them up. Now for the handle and lock hardware.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Beautiful Shed
    You now have doors!
    To keep the stuff in
    And keep the rain out

    why aren't you going to paint the doors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ack, i see daddy's little helper!
    maybe his hammers are out in the shed somewhere, haha.
    if you painted the doors blue, then maybe no could see where the doors are - tch, not.

    ReplyDelete