Monday, December 14, 2009

Finishing the Den Walls and Ceiling

Let me just say that being a father is amazing and wonderful. However, I seem to get less done on the house when I'm holding my baby in one arm.

This post is about finishing the den walls and ceiling. The drywall has been up for a while. I've been taping, mudding, and sanding as I've had time and energy.


With all the seams and screws mudded, I next primed and painted the ceiling. I ended up having to paint the whole ceiling (including what I'd already painted in the dining room) because the paint colors were not a perfect match and we could see the transition. I don't understand why. The paint was the same paint from the same can. I guess one-year-old paint shouldn't be expected to match itself when it was fresh.


After the ceiling was painted, I put sanded primer on the walls in preparation for the clay, one layer of Loma and one layer of Porcelina. All I have left to do is burnish.



Next is the floor!

4 comments:

  1. Could the paint prob be because of insufficient mixing? I'm sure you know this, but if you take your paint can to the hardware store, they'll put it in their mixing machine and really mix it up good for you. That's helped me in the past with paint that had been sitting.

    What's up with the clay? Haven't heard much about it. Why'd you go with that instead of paint?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right about the paint.

    We decided to use American Clay for our living room walls because on the lack of toxicity, ease of repair (we'll see about this), the low environmental impact of the product, and the look. www.americanclay.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and labor-intensive wall covering choice! Really adds a depth and richness to the room. Plaster is the kind of thing that sets the homes of those willing to do the work themselves from those who simply slap on some paint. You were not just covering your walls with mud, your covering your walls with equity. My grandfather was a plasterer his entire life, a dying art in our age of spray texture. No two are ever the same, your texture is uniquely you. I think it is great Arlo will grow up in a home surrounded by the physical manifestation of his parents care and effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, and thanks!

    ReplyDelete