Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Flies and Framers

For some strange reason, big fat flies like to hang out on the fence between the front lot and our lot. Lots of them. My spouse thinks it might be the port-a-potty (Honey Bucket brand). I think it's just a temperature thing.


I called PSE (the electric company) and LNI (the Washington State Safety Agency) on Friday. I told them that I saw something that I considered unsafe in my neighborhood. I said that a house was being framed under a live electrical wire and that the framers were just draping the wire over the house they were building. They didn't seem that interested.

However, LNI and PSE showed up on Monday and shut down the work on the house. The representatives were shocked by what they saw. The framers had to go home halfway through the day on Monday and didn't work at all on Tuesday. PSE was calling Potelco (their contractor) to speed along the process of moving the electrical line from overhead to underground. The PSE reps couldn't get a hold of the engineer on the project to get a full story. They couldn't get Potelco to give them any answers either.

I figured that the site would be shut down until the line was moved, but the framers showed up this morning (Wednesday). Can't keep the flies away.

The front lot owner called me and asked if I knew when the line was being moved. I said I didn't know. I was ready if the front lot owner accused me of ratting him out. First off, I asked LNI to not mention that I (the neighbor) was the whistle blower. They have a policy of asking whether or not you want to be identified. Second, I could claim, and rightly so, that I was just asking PSE/LNI whether or not I could be sued if someone got hurt by the electrical line while working on the front lot (since the front lot owner once threatened to sue me for exactly that). In fact, I did ask that question and was told that I could be sued for anything but that it very unlikely that charge would result in a decision against me. However, the subject never came up.

I think I'll call LNI again this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment