Saturday, July 30, 2016

Miscellaneous Work

The existing French doors needed to be moved to make way for the new subfloor so they got put in the shed. The contractor was not happy about how much silicone I used when installing the door. In my defense, I just did what the instructions told me to.

In preparation for the two windows that are going to be moved to make room for the additions, I am removing the trim, sawing out the polyurethane foam around the window, and fixing the broken latch on one of them. The latch has a broken screw, and the window has been my emergency access to the house when I lock myself out. The the latch is now fixed and I better not lock myself out of the house!

Here's a photo of the broken screw. I had to dig out the screw with a pair of needle nose plyers after drilling out the wood around the screw.

I filled the hole with some epoxy.

Then I redrilled the hole and installed the screws. All fixed! It only took me eight years to get around to fixing this window. *sigh*

I also had to move the dryer vent. I decided to relocate the dryer vent to the roof because that is the shortest distance to the outside. I'll have to sweep my roof more often, but maybe that will give me more motivation to actually sweep the roof! This is the third time that I've cut a hole in my roof, and I was a lot less nervous this time around. In fact, I was smart enough to cut the hole when it wasn't raining!

Here are some photos of the old front door (originally the side door) of the house. It is only twenty-eight inches wide. The new front door will be thirty-six inches wide.

Here is some wallpaper (it's really thick like chipboard). This was extracted from between some studs and was being used and shims.

1 comment:

  1. it's always good to cut a hole in the roof when it's not raining..........
    hide a key outside the house for when you lock yourself out.........

    ReplyDelete