Sunday, May 22, 2011

Shed - Part 5: Roof

I installed the last of the roof panels today on the first section of the shed. I used Suntuf corrugated polycarbonate panels. The kind I chose were opal white with a light transmission of 45%. They also block 99.9% of UV light.


I added some additional lumber to that rafter assembly so that I could install the panels according to the manufacturer's recommendations. You can see in the photos below that I added some 2x2's along the front and the back as well as some 2x4's along the middle.


The 2x2's along the front and back are the most critical. They'll keep the panels flat and help resist the attempts that the wind will make to remove the panels. I'll be installing some fascia along the front and back so the 2x2's won't really be all that visible when the shed is done.


Now I get to start on the wall sheathing.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:40 PM

    beautiful beautiful shed!
    Arlo is going to want to move in as soon as you have the walls on and the door on, haha.
    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Hi Jacob,

    I'm the Director of Marketing for Palram Americas, makers of Suntuf Corrugated Polycarbonate. I stumbled on to your post as I was reviewing our Google analytics reports. I realize that your shed has been constructed for a while, but it's still worthy of an "atta boy!" Nice job on the construction, and especially the clarifying notes about the need for the 2x2's on the front and back. I'd be curious to hear any comments you may have about our product, now that it's been installed for a while. Also, if you have any photos of the finished project, I'd love to see them. stan.schultz@palram.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:47 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete