Sunday, March 28, 2010

Built-in Shelf Built

I spent the weekend assembling and installing the built-in bookshelf (located in the main room next to the fireplace). This project has taken a VERY long time to get to this point. I cut the 3/4" plywood (with cherry veneer) on our table saw, but I used my friend's jointer and radial arm saw to clean up the edges and to cut the dados. I also edge-banded all of the exposed shelves and middle supports.

I assembled the shelf in the second bedroom so as to stay out of the way of the baby's play area.


I had already installed the back of the shelf in the cavity and thought that I would need to install a temporary brace to keep the shelf from racking during the move, but the shelf was rigid enough without the brace. I used screws for all joints and used dowels for alignment on the middle supports.


Here's a photo of the shelf in place before I attached the back, cut a hole for the elecrtical duplex, and secured it with some finishing nails.


My spouse wanted to see if the baby fit on the bottom shelf. He could if he curled up a little. I'm sure he'll be pulling himself on the shelf very soon!


Here's a photo of the shelf fully installed. We will be locating a land line phone on the second shelf from the bottom (you can see the duplex and the phone cable on the right).


All that's left to do is: stain, seal, and trim. We'll be using the same trim as the windows. Oh, I still need to connect the phone wire to the phone box. Maybe later today or in the next couple of days. Shouldn't be too hard.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful work. Built in cases like this add a nice touch of class and craftsmanship. Now that you are all experienced and stuff want to do one in my house? I have this great badly out of square opening just begging for some class...

    ReplyDelete