Monday, July 21, 2008

Weak-end

I'm freaking tired today. My arms and back feel a bit like jelly. This is good, because it means I worked hard this weekened. But it's bad because it means that I'm weak and out of good digging shape. Hmmm.

One of the reasons I'm so tired today is because we ignored one of the first rules of remodeling/house projects: put it where you want it the first time.

As you may have read before, my spouse and I moved a couple of tons of rocks from a messy pile to nice stacks under our trees not so long ago. If we had put them in the right spot the first time, we would have saved ourselves a lot of time and effort.

Well, this weekend I knocked down the big pile of dirt that was sitting in front of our house, gathering weeds and spiders. I dug and dug and shoveled and hoed,and now the pile is gone, and the sunken spots from when the electrical was run are now filled. Hence the weakness. But, if we had put the pile of dirt someplace else when we were first determining where to put what, I wouldn't have had to spend all day in the sun flattening it out.


Oh well. If I keep it up, I'll get nice and strong. In our defense, when the dirt pile was first created, we had no idea what we were doing or where we wanted things. Plus the contractor put it in the wrong spot. I'm being a bit hard on us.

The motivation for moving the pile was the dumpster that was delivered this morning for the roofers. Hooray, new roof!! Today they took off the old roof and started to put on the new; they'll finish up tomorrow. They're also going to install the top portion of our Solatubes, where the flange comes up through the shingles. AND they're going to cut some of the joists that are at the edge of the roof so that they're perpendicular to the ground instead of slanted. We're very happy and excited. Anyway, the pile was right where it'd be good to put the dumpster, and so in the interest of cleanliness, the pile was flattened. And sure enough, that's where they put the dumpster. I'd feel good if I wasn't so stiff. Time for more Pilates...

Actually, it's been fine. Now that our strawberry crop has petered out, the raspberries are coming into their own. I'm getting about a cup of fresh raspberries a day. Yum!


We actually had a pretty good weekend. We put the final coat of joint compound on the drywall screws, and many seams were sanded and had another layer of mud put on. We'll put pictures up of all this later in the week. We're going to try to have it all finished up so we can start putting on primer this weekend or early next week. We have to move on this room; our permit ends in September and we'd like to have the den insulated before it gets cold. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment