Thursday, September 13, 2007

Locust Attack

So Monday, one of our good helpful friends came over to help me kill stuff.

Remember the tree I cut down last summer? Well, it came back. With friends.

Okay, so it wasn't really as big as last time. But it was still a pain in the butt. The locust trees really bother me. They take over the yard and don't let other things get light.

Here's our yard before:


You can see that the entire corner of our yard was obscured by these plants. Our neighbors have some large locust trees in their yard, which are probably giving rise to many of our trees, and the blackberry they have in their yard seems to think it's great fun to make it over our fence, too.

Well, super-friend and I took care of that. She pulled up and chopped out with great vigor while I poisoned in her wake. It was good fun, as she's fabulous company, not to mention very effective.

Here's the corner afterward:


Success! I'll probably have to kill the same trees many times in the future until we get that part of the yard leveled and re-seeded, but for now, at least, I feel much better. Plus our yard once again seems as big as it really is.

1 comment:

  1. Oh leave the blackberries. As a kid growing up in the general area we had great fun in the blackberry fields. You could build tunnels or forts, hit each other with spiked wips, it was awesome. You can even on occasion eat the dam things and just look at the cost of blackberry jam, do I hear mortgage payment... ?

    I believe in the trade the nails you bought are known as "spaghetti" nails for obvious reasons. I have also heard Dan E. (who is supposed to have his little boy sometime this month) call them "ass" nails. An experienced framer would give them to his or her apprentice to make them look like an ass. You then swing in with your nearly identical nails and tap tap tap, REALLY make them look like an ass.

    ReplyDelete