Friday, August 24, 2007

Fruits of Our Labor

Actual fruit. I'll get to that in a minute, saving the best for last.

So with all the house crap going on, and autumn/winter fast approaching, we've been feeling a little ragged about the house. We got a notice in the mail from the City of Kenmore that our permit expires at the end of next month, so we either need to finish off our inspections or renew our permit. The renewal won't be as expensive as the first go-around, but it's still a couple hundred dollars. Oh well.

We're also going to Portland to see a friend, and while we're down there we're going to search for a dining room table. We need a table to know where to wire the lights, you see. I really love shopping for the house. I can't wait to shop for bamboo floors.

Anyway, what's the most exciting, I think, is the fact that we have more roma tomatoes than you can shake a stick at. Okay, you could shake a stick at it, but we have so many tomatoes that your stick would get covered with tomato schmutz. We have probably 18-20 roma tomatoes, and the cherry tomatoes are starting to grow and ripen. Our little bell pepper plant has baby bells on it, but I doubt they'll grow and ripen before the first frost. The mutant Home Depot strawberries are ripening, though. Home Depot was the only place we could find strawberries that bore edible fruit when we were ready to plant stuff, and so we got them. But they seem sort of misshapen and strange, like they've been inbred or too chemically altered or something. I'm sure they'll taste fine. The tomatoes came from Home Depot, too, and they're growing fabulously and perfectly, which is also probably the result of genetic tampering. Oh well, who cares - I'm going to enjoy some fresh, ripe tomato from my garden. Without further ado, here are the photos of our bounty.


The plants in our hedge planting bed are all doing VERY well. We only lost one oregano out of all the plants we put in the ground. The mints are CRAZY, pretty much taking over everything, and the basil, rosemary, and oregano are huge. So I'd say the planting bed was a success. Next year I think we'll plant some heirloom varieties. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:50 PM

    Al and Jacob-
    You guys MUST teach me something about gardening. I kill everything, yet long for a garden such as yours. Even my pot of mint is struggling. So sad. Please help.

    Michelle Wydra

    ReplyDelete