Monday, August 07, 2006

Light pole mystery - solved?

So, my spouse is still working on the drawings. Figuring out U factors, permits, and all that rot. Thank goodness someone knows about that sort of thing. I suspect I'm wearing out my welcome with the folks at work, taking advantage of their homebuilding experience as I am.

Anyway, one of the women whose company I enjoy at work is actually quite familiar with our dear, sweet rat hole. Her parents lived just down the street- still do. So she drives past on occasion when she visits them on the weekend. She remembers trick-or-treating at our house back when the old fella owned it. She remembers chasing their dog when it escaped. It's a really neat and interesting way to hear about the history of the house and the family that lived here.

So, I guess it was last week, she sat down next to me at the weekly office-wide meeting we have. She asked how the house was going, etc., and during the course of our conversation, she asked me if I'd seen any trains. I was pretty confused. Well, it turns out the old fella had set up a huge train set in the backyard. I haven't seen any remnants of it, although it WOULD explain all the bizarre garbage piles in the backyard.

I came home that night and told my husband about it, and as I spoke a light went on in his eyes. He started talking about the light pole. Again, I was confused. I thought we were talking about trains? We still were, sort of. It's his hypothesis that the light pole was used to 1) provide power to the train set via the electrical outlets in the base, and 2) provide light for the entire endeavor.

I dunno, it makes sense to me. It's about the only thing that makes sense. And not really a whole lot of sense, but enough i can believe it. It's still weird, but it's not totally crazy.

Of course, we'll probably never really know what the light pole was for, but it's nice to finally have a theory.

1 comment:

  1. Ah. It was the train. That explains it all...or does it?!

    I wanna get my Will Farrell fix on. Over and out.

    ReplyDelete