Friday, December 02, 2005

Bathroom mania

Yesterday evening was another fun-filled adventure into the realm of bathroom filth. Even though the master bath is smaller than the full bath, it took a lot longer to clean. So long, in fact, that I didn't finish it in my allotted two hours. The shower itself was well, shudder-ific. Actually, the tile and grout weren't so bad. Nor even the floor. It looked worse than it was. This is because there was caulking on TOP of dirt. So what looked dirty was actually sealed away, well out of reach of my scrubby. Once I got the tile cleaned, I thought, oh, what the hell, I'll get that cobweb up there in the corner of the ceiling, where it's painted. I reached up with my paper towel and swiped at the ceiling, only to recoil in horror as a black, tar-like substance comes away with the towel. Turns out the entire ceiling of the shower stall was coated with this nasty stuff, almost like someone was smoking something in there, but it wasn't the usual color of cigarette smoke. It was an entirely different black than the fungus growing on the bathroom window, some of which came off the aluminum when Mr. Bleachy Toothbrush came for a visit, some of which is just stuck in the paint and won't come out.

This is a "before" picture of the lovely vanity. Oh, what a fine tile job this is. I can only hope we can do a better job ourselves. I've never tiled before, but I'm pretty sure I can avoid caulking over dirt.

All this simply reaffirmed for us that we need to just get rid of that bathroom and make a new one. The full bath, on the other hand, is totally saveable. We just need to make more room for it. The tub might also be too damaged to repair- it seems the previous owner's workers liked to pour caustic chemicals in it. *sigh*

Here's an "after" shot. Oh, you gotta love the color choices. I don't think I will pick "salmon," but that's just me. I'm sure there are lots of people that love it. I don't know why- I'm not a fan of colored sinks. Give me shiny white any day of the week.

Tonight we return to the master bath and take a final crack at it. I have to get the crusties off the vanity drawers, and the walls need a serious scrubbing. No doubt I'll find more lovely black crap coating everything. At least the toilet cleaned up nicely. I need to do the floor, too. Fear the floor. I'm not sure I'll even be able to tell when it's clean. Oy. My only consolation is that so far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment